Happy Fall! Thought I would write a post to catch you up on random life happenings.
- Work- I started my job and I’ve been at it for 5 weeks now! I went from having endless amounts of free time, getting lots of sleep, and exercising all of the time to just about the exact opposite…but I’m okay with that. I see clients in the office for prenatal visits (mostly) about 1-3 days per week and then am on call for about 36 hours per week. The call hours can be slow or they can be crazy busy- just depends on the babies who decide they need to be born that day. As a new midwife, I feel like l carry a lot of stress around with me and am constantly double and triple checking myself to make sure that I don’t miss anything. It is definitely a hard transition into the provider role, without a preceptor always reassuring me. All in all, I do think I have one of the coolest jobs in the world. (Midwifery school friends at a wedding last weekend)
- Running- After a week hiatus from running last week because of a nasty cold and crazy work schedule, I’m back at it. I’m still hoping that I can run a half marathon at the end of November. It will definitely not be a PR race but I haven’t ran a race in 2 years so I just want to get out there again. The fall running weather has been lovely and it feels good to be increasing my mileage. I also joined the Oiselle Volee! Anne makes it sound like such a fun group of women runners so I decided to give it a try. I’ve been looking for a way to connect with other female runners in the Chicago area so I’m hoping that this helps. Plus, it’s a further excuse to buy fun running clothes 😉
- Arlo- Arlo has been doing pretty well adjusting to life with a working mom again. Fortunately, we have a lady in the building who has a dog walking business and I can text her spur of the moment if needed and she can take Arlo out. Since moving to Chicago, the “little” guy has gained a bit of weight so we are now working on getting him back to a healthier size. He didn’t have the best running summer so hopefully with the fall weather, he can get back into running shape and shed a few pounds. Arlo has taken to LOVING ropes…and by loving I mean destroying. I bought four ropes from Amazon and he destroyed them in a week. So yesterday, I bought him a fancy rope at a local dog shop that was supposed to be more tightly twisted….he destroyed it in a day. Any rope recommendations?
- Chicago- It’s crazy that we have lived here for almost 5 months! It is great living so close to water again and I feel lucky that I can run by the lake whenever I want. If Chicago didn’t have the lake, I don’t think I could take it. City living definitely has its ups (so much to do, easy access to everything) and downs (traffic, city smells, noise, lack of green space). I still can’t say definitively if it’s for me or not. Our condo has come a long way since you’ve seen it last. Come visit!
- Rob- He is doing well. He works a lot some months and then has some easier weeks (ie. works 50 hours per week vs 80). Overall, I think he enjoys what he is doing.